Monday, 21 September 2015

Ideas and Inspiration For Artist and Music Video setting - Research/Planning

Main Artist Development:

Song Choice:

I had the intent to do a pop song as I liked the typical conventions of POP genre music videos with the performance based element and the style of camera work including close ups and fast pace editing as well as the audience research I did led me to secure this choice. I then made short lists of songs I liked or could develop upon the lyrics more easily. The genres of the songs were all different.

Song short list:

  • Little Mix - Black Magic (POP)
  • Sigma - Nobody to love  (Dance/R&B)
  •  Ella Henderson - Yours (POP)
  • James Bay - Scars (Indie POP)
  • Rita Ora - Poison  (POP)
Initial Ideas:
Black Magic concept - Narrative based/concept video featuring band group of girls in urban area walking down streets with boys falling in love with them throughout different locations and with the use of special effects I could create typical and associated POP genre "cheesy" video effects to add to the portrayal of the narrative.



Nobody to love concept - Concept based video featuring the artist in a festival environment with powder paint, bold coloring, high key lighting and a variety of locations all to reflect an upbeat atmosphere to the video. I wanted there to be some element of narrative e.g. a group of girls going on a road trip and ending up at an festival where the artist is performing at the concert so there is performance as well in the video but mostly based around the concept of festivals the emotion and atmosphere there is.




"Yours" concept - Narrative based where a couple are exploring their relationship and having fun together as a couple would changing from different activities and locations frequently. I wanted to put in a little twist where by at the end The artist appears in the video by accidentally bumping into them in a street and then convey the song and story to be from an outsiders point of view.



Scars concept - concept based where a person is just walking for a very long time across different locations until the end where they end up back home. Using cool camera effects and positioning so it doesn't appear too repetitive. I would use low key lighting to add to the winter effect and season of the video to convey a haunting effect on the viewer.




Final Song Choice: Rita Ora - Poison

I decided to do this song as it had a lot of deep emotion and I had a lot of inspiration for the song. The basis of the song is around "toxic relationships" and so due to this theme I wanted to look into a bad/rebellious image to my artist illustrating some kind of damage to her background. I then came up with the idea to incorporate the idea of the poison being associated with alcohol and how she has the choice between being intoxicated but there's influences from her friends that encourage her to become intoxicated by the alcohol. This then links to the lyrics by explaining the damage it's causing her as a recovering addict and the emotional period of time she had whilst dealing with it in a private manor. I want to use a lot of low key lighting and hazy effects to illustrated the state of being intoxicated and to create a state of imagination and illusion for what could happen but doesn't.



Ivy Taylor stage name (Ivy) will be a solo artist releasing up upcoming "POP" genre single "Poison" which is ironic to her stage name and links well with the style and representation of herself as an artist needing correlation and development through her career. I want her image to be and be featured on the album too to further the artist's promotion and relation. She appeals to the age range of 16 - early 20's. I want my artist's style to be quite current yet urban to fit in with the city environment that the artist is originally from. Ivy is also very distinctive and know for being very independent and emotionally expressive.

The background to Ivy Taylor is that she is 22 born in central London and being a well known artist, has recently come out to the public about her previous alcoholic problems in her past which is incorporated in her new album as a part of her confession. She was discovered busking outside in Westfield's shopping centre and then was offered a recording contract and since then has released two singles and an album. Her personality is fiery and rebellious but quirky and angelic which makes people love her cuteness and feisty behaviour. She's idolised for being this quirky fun loving person as well as her choice of fashion and use of colour when choosing clothing combinations.

 This mood Board represents the sexual and rebellious image I want to be portrayed within the narrative- based video. It relates to the rage and concept of "poison" changing and shaping a person to be "intoxicated" by a relationship or connection to a person. This style embraces the idea and portrayal of someone confused and a "hot-mess" because of emotional break down being shown physically. This means I would like to incorporate a lot of dark and red colours within her outfit that shows danger/rebellion, bad-attitude and sexual references. This is to promote he past as reference for changing her image in the future and explaining the heart break and emotional background that most audiences would not see or hear about other than in the tabloids so showing the song expressing her side of the story through the narrative of past mistakes.


 

Fashion Style Ideas:


I wanted to create my artist's star persona to represent characteristics that are related to the pop genre itself. I looked at typical pop artist styles and choices of clothing and gathered inspiration form their styles to present my artist's style.

I like this style of a typical/casual style whereby my artist would be related to the younger target audience yet still incorporating the colour red and black to link to the idea of poison and how the song is about a typical girl being brought in a whole new world and being apart of a toxic image. Therefore I wanted to show how her appearance as damaged or very edgy   to symbolise this idea. But at the same time still keep the artist known for her true "good girl appearance" as well as having some sense of sex appeal but in an appropriate way.



Make- Up Ideas:



The style of make up I want for artist is quite heavy and prominent eye shadow and eyeliner to represent harsh definition of her eyes. I thought this style would act as symbolic for the mysterious appearance of the artist herself and that their is more to what lays behind how she see her relationship and intoxication of what she has experienced herself being relevant and portrayed through her appearance as well as the emotion within the song itself. I then wanted to further this symbolic representation by combining the look with blood red lipstick to embellish subtle sexualisation through seductive make up as well as the symbolism for the red tone to reflect danger and passion of the poison being so attached to he it is right in front of her in this form and is acting as temptation. 

Hair Style ideas:



I wanted my artist's hair to be quite wild yet natural in appearance to replicate the emotional and psychological damage of her mind-set through the physical appearance itself. I also think that in terms of style having her hair this way will make the artist seem more venerable as well as stylish. Therefore the audience can inspire and relate towards her appearance and incorporate and embrace her style positively in their own look.

Camera Work and effects ideas:


 I wanted to use a lot of distorted and hazy edited effects to illustrate the toll of alcohol on her state of mind throughout the video. I also liked the idea of possibly using slow motion or rewinding editing to portray her decision and choice between the alcohol and her mind set within the song. I intended to use a range of camera angles to represent my theme within the video. I planned to use the majority of the angles as close ups of the artist as the content of the video and meaning is personal and I wish to reflect this through the connection of the artist to the view of the audience. I also planned on using a lot of hand-held camera work to reinforce the theme of intoxication and to match the hazy effects and editing.

Location:



I wanted to have the majority indoor - based film locations to represent the artist as quite vulnerable state as she is telling her story of AA and how she struggled to overcome her alcoholism and revealing her past to the public in a sensitive yet powerful way. I wanted to use a kitchen as the opening location with her sat at the table(island) contemplating drinking alcohol or the cup of coffee. The second location choice was inside a moving car which would capture the intensity of the motion and the fixation of her intoxicated state. The third location I wanted was the messy room at which she comes home to and represents her inner psychology and the state at which she becomes intoxicated.  

Prop Ideas:

I wanted to incorporate alcohol bottles to acts a reminder of the context and as a burden to the artist in the video as it is evidently represented to be this. In terms of the variety of alcohol I wanted there to be quite a large collection of bottles to indicate the larger impact it has on her life and her regret.




.

No comments:

Post a Comment