Tuesday, 1 December 2015

Ancillary Text - Magazine and Digipak Design and Product Research

Final Photography images for Magazine Advert and Digipak:

Looking at other pop - genre Digipaks and Magazine adverts for inspiration : Mood Board

I wanted to replicate a simple yet impacting Digipak and have  bold titles to reflect the POP genre style. I decided to incorporate the colour scheme of Red, Black and White into my Digipak and Magazine advert. I also wanted to explore the style of 'Shock advertising' by creating a shock magazine advert as well as a regular advert to expand the relevance of the lyric's impact and the artist's persona.

Keeping to Conventions:

  • Using bold complementary colours to amplify the appearance of the ancillary text
  • Using a dominant image to portray the artist
  • Prominent text of artist's  name and name of album

Font Ideas for Magazine Advert:





This font style (AR bonnie)
makes the artist's name stand out and although looks straight and professional has some slight quirk or strangeness to it which reflects the artist's natural personality and will be reflected and associated with the artist in this way. I then wanted to make the other additional titles stand out in a slightly more official way, by incorporating the black background against the red writing gives the title greater impact and makes it easier to read.



I looked at other font's to get a title that I could easily replicate and portray as symbolic for the artist in both the Digipak and magazine advert to promote the synergy between them. I then came to the conclusion to use the following font after conducting audience research into what styles and preferences they had against my suggestions.

1-4 designs starting from top to bottom

 

Audience Feedback on title designs:




Initial Designs:


Draft edits:


I decided to change the layout of  the titles and limited the amount of different fonts to give the advert a more uniform style. As well as making it easier for the reader to view.

Before
 
 
 
 
After
 




 
 

Audience Feedback for my magazine advert:

 
 
This feedback helped me to identify my strong points of the magazine advert as well as things that were not praised and how to improve them. 
 
Most of the feedback was positive and I took into consideration any criticisms to relate my product to POP conventions in a better way. 
 
 
 
 
 This feedback showed me that I was portraying my artist in the right way to be recognised and compared to POP conventions.
 

Digipak Design Ideas and Audience Feedback:

Idea 1
I decided from this did not fit my artist's image as well it does not convey the edge and darkened approach I wished to portray regarding the artist's past and back ground. I liked the use of font as the background and the overlay of the artist's image on top covering the text. Where as I didn't like the main title of The artist's name "Ivy Taylor" I felt the font choice was too obvious and stood out in a bad way against the dominant image of the artist herself. During my focus group others agreed with the notion I had against the artist's name.
 
Development from my first design...
 
 
Developing from my initial idea I changed the font of the Artist's name completely as I felt the style was too quaint and didn't reveal and more edgy and side to the artist's persona and troubled past as a serious issue. I then wasn't too happy with the body language of the artist although her image and style is reflected well and represents a more edgy side to her. I thought I would then incorporate my original idea of the "intoxicated" text as the background  but change the image to make her image more striking and portray deeper meaning relating to her past alcohol consumption problems.
 
Developed Version:
 
Development stage
 
 
 

Finished Stage:

 

 
 
 

 


 

 


 
 
 

 
 
 

 
 


 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment